Eating breakfast with sufficient protein is hard if you are vegetarian or vegan. You can only have so many protein smoothie bowls or protein shakes. Quinoa porridge is one breakfast option and eggs are another option but you can only have so many eggs and quinoa – I know if I have had quinoa for a couple days in a week, I need a break from it for the next week or so and I cannot eat eggs every single day. If you are have a food allergy or a food sensitivity to eggs, thinking of high-protein breakfast ideas becomes even harder.
Here is a scrambled tofu dish that looks like scrambled eggs – easy peasy and ready in 10-15 minutes. The one caveat is to make sure you are choosing tofu that says it is non-GMO as most soybeans are GMO in North America (Thanks to Monsanto for exposing our gut to roundup which contributes to leaky gut and gut bacterial imbalances). Sunrise does a Soyganic tofu which is organic and non-GMO verified.
Health Fact: Soy is a phytoestrogen. This means that it has the ability to act on estrogen receptors on our cells and can modulate the receptors to increase or decrease estrogenic activity. Consumption of soy is cautioned in anyone that has estrogen-sensitive cancers (breast cancer, uterine cancer, ovarian cancer, colon cancer) or increased thickening of the uterus, uterine fibroids, or thyroid disorders. The best way to know if soy is okay for you to consume is to speak to your healthcare provider or a naturopathic doctor.
Here is the recipe for this Breakfast Tofu Scramble (and it is vegan too!)
- 1 tbsp Coconut oil
- Grape tomatoes, sliced in halves
- Button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 block non-GMO silk tofu cut into cubes
- Turmeric powder, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Heat the coconut oil on a frying pan until melted.
- Add the mushrooms and tomatoes. Once mushrooms appear half-cooked (reduced in size and slightly browned), add the tofu cubes.
- Mix the tofu mixture, breaking up the cubes into small fragments if you want to give it a “scrambled eggs” appearance. The softer the tofu, the easier it is to break apart.
- Add turmeric powder and black pepper and mix well – tofu will turn yellow.
- Once heated, enjoy! You can add hot sauce to it if you would like
If you have any hormone-health related inquiries, you are welcome to contact me or leave a comment below if it is a generic question!