These olive-cheddar biscuits are really quick to make and turned out soft and chewy because of the rice flour and potato starch in the gluten-free baking flour mix. Yes, that means that they are gluten-free and they are also dairy-free. The cheddar "cheese" used is a gluten-free, dairy-free, lactose-free, casein-free, soy-free cheeze and is also Kosher from Nabati Foods. If you don't avoid dairy, are not vegan, nor have a dairy allergy/sensitivity and want to add regular cheddar cheese then you can just substitute it instead.
If you are curious to know if you have a gluten, dairy, casein, or soy food sensitivity, I do offer food sensitivity testing in my practice and we can also screen for digestive issues and food intolerances.
There is no sugar in this recipe as they are meant to be savoury biscuits you can have with soup, meat dishes, or just as a snack on their own. The best part of this recipe is that you only need one mixing bowl to save on post-baking washing!
You can skip the chilling step but I like to chill the dough because it just sets the flavours a lot more and kind of "accentuates" the flavour.
You could probably use less coconut oil in the recipe as they did have a considerable amount of oil that kept them soft after baking because I forgot the cheeze that I used is made from pea protein and coconut oil which moved into the biscuits as the cheeze melted.
Store the scone-biscuits in an airtight container in the fridge because chilling them will mak them a little more firm as the oils make the biscuits soften at room temperature. They will still be soft enough for you to eat but will have more a scone-like texture inside. They taste good stored at room temperature but I prefer their taste and texture when they are stored in the fridge 🙂
Prep time: 37-40 minutes (including fridge time)
Baking time: 15-18 minutes at 425 F
- 1 ½ cups Bobs Red Mill Gluten-Free 1:1 Baking flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- ¾ cup cashew milk
- 1 tbsp ground flax seeds
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup Nabati Foods Cheddar Cheeze Shreds, cut into small pieces
- Mix the flour, salt, and baking powder together in a mixing bowl.
- Add in the coconut oil, olive oil, cashew milk, ground flax.
- Lastly, add in the baking soda and the lemon juice on top of the baking soda. Let this do their magic and bubble creating the effervescent reaction you want.
- Mix everything, making sure to cut in the coconut oil as there may be solid chunks.
- Then add the cheeze shreds and mix to combine. For the best results, use clean hands to knead the dough.
- Chill dough for 30 minutes
- Roll 2tbsp of dough into balls and place onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake at 425 F for 15-18 minutes.