Naturopathic Doctor - Dr. Shah's journey with alternative medicine started at a young age. At the age of 12, she was diagnosed with scoliosis (a sideways curvature of the spine) and after being conventionally treated with a back brace for a few years, she decided to try alternative treatments to prevent surgery - chiropractic, network spinal analysis, craniosacral therapy, reiki, reflexology, and homeopathy. While she ended up having spinal fusion surgery, her pain-free (very minimal doses of pain meds needed) recovery period is attributed to the healing and strengthening of the body done by these natural therapies (conventional medicine and naturopathic medicine can complement each other greatly to provide the best health outcome).
Her personal health journey drove her to pursue a career in healthcare where she graduated with distinction from the Applied Human Nutrition program at the University of Guelph. She has always had a passion for nutrition, biomedical sciences, and making people feel better, however, has always felt that there should be more treatment options rather than just drugs and surgery. After taking a year off and discovering naturopathic medicine, she found an instant connection with the discipline - the combination of naturopathic philosophy, diagnostics, medical sciences, nutrition and other natural treatment modalities - and so began, the journey to becoming a naturopathic doctor.
Dr. Shah graduated from the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine in Toronto, Ontario, Canada in 2014 after completing a four-year intensive academic and clinical curriculum which included a one-year clinical internship where saw patients at the Robert Schad Naturopathic Clinic and Brampton Naturopathic Teaching Clinic.
I feel like I have always been drawn to the path less travelled in multiple areas of my life which can be described beautifully by Angola Murdoch in the documentary Every Story has a Twist - “I’ve never really taken the straight road in life. My pathway has always been twisting, turning and curved. I can relate that to how my spine grew because it grew in a curved way, never straight and normal.”
After successfully completing the standardized North American Board Naturopathic Examination known as NPLEx, Dr. Shah felt a need for change and relocated from Toronto to Calgary to start her naturopathic practice.
Dr. Suhani's Practice Focus
- Pediatric (school-age) and adolescent health
- Mental/emotional health (anxiety, depression, ADHD, ASD)
- Hormone health and imbalances in men and women (menstrual issues, irregular cycles, thyroid health, stress management, fertility, preconception, diabetes, menopause, weight management)
- Digestion (helping you eliminate that bloating, gas, constipation, frequent loose stools, tummy pain, and heartburn)
- Pain management (prolotherapy for sports injuries, joint pain, and arthritis)
- Autoimmune conditions (like ankylosing spondylitis, lupus, Hashimoto's thyroiditis, and rheumatoid arthritis)
She believes that establishing a therapeutic relationship where the patient can build a connection to the doctor is critical for improving one’s health as this allows the patient to feel comfortable with expressing themselves. This helps Dr. Shah create an individualized treatment protocol helping to address the root cause because she can better understand the patient on all levels - mental / emotional / physical.
- Licensed naturopathic doctor in good standing with the College of Naturopathic Doctors of Alberta (CNDA)
- Member of the Canadian Association of Naturopathic Doctors (CAND)
- Member of the Alberta Association of Naturopathic Doctors (AAND)
Dr. Shah looks forward to meeting you and working with you to help you achieve your health goals.